In my August Update, I mentioned trying a new smoothie. This smoothie to be exact!
That pretty smoothie is actually based on a juicing recipe from the Raw Raw Life!’s Carla Douglin’s juicing book and app. After seeing tons of photos of juicing ingredients from a few people on Facebook and Twitter (and realizing I was too cheap for a juicer), I thought, Why not just use juicing recipes to make new smoothies?
GIRL YOU’RE SO SMART!!!!
Her “Good Morning, Sunshine” juice (more or less) became my “Red Good Morning Smoothie”! I’m not going to post her exact recipe because I think the book and/or app is worth the money. There are 101 recipes in there for $1.01 (for the book) or $1.99 (for the app)! ONE HUNDRED AND ONE RECIPES! Listen, it took me days to choose just one. DAYS! It came down to the recipe with the most in-season ingredients. I had like 7 that I wanted to try. *sighs*
Red Good Morning Smoothie (1 serving)
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup swiss chard
1 apple (I had gala that week)
2 celery sticks (I think)
ginger paste (optional)
1 tablespoon chia seed
2 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1/2 scoop vegetarian soy protein
1/2 cup green tea
1/2 cup almond milk
Directions (this is what works best for me and my blender)
- Add green tea, almond milk, soy protein, flaxseed meal and chia seeds to blender and pulse for a few seconds.
- Add spinach and swiss chard to blender. If frozen, blend now. Then add remaining ingredients in order from softest to toughest, then blend.
- If you’re working with fresh ingredients, add the remaining ingredients in order from softest to toughest, then blend.
- Enjoy! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Smoothie 🙂
A few things I’d like to point out:
- This smoothie was a big change from my previous smoothie which is more fruit-based in terms of taste. I was afraid it would be gross but it wasn’t. It just wasn’t sweet at all but I liked it!
- Unlike my previous smoothie, I didn’t freeze or buy frozen ingredients (for the most part). This was because unlike fruit, most vegetables have to be blanched before freezing and I was not in the mood. Lol!
- Also, in case you’re wondering, I always add my “add-ins” to my liquid because I noticed they mix better that way!
- Keep extra green tea or water ready. I had to add more some days because my smoothie came out WAY too thick making it very hard to drink.
After trying this smoothie out for a week, I decided to incorporate a few ingredients into my previous smoothie recipe. Half to add nutrients and flavor, half because I wanted a pretty color! I’m lying, it was more like 25-75…….don’t judge me! I love color! 🙂