Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Smoothies!!!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
For the past month and a half (possibly 2 months), I’ve been having smoothies every weekday for breakfast. I actually planned to do this post a few weeks ago but guess what! I’m about to give you TWO different versions of the same smoothie. TWO! I know you’re thinking, “LOOK AT GOD! SHE IS AMAZING!” And I’m like, “I know.” *flips hair* I’m joking…..a little……..
Check below the recipe for more information….and by information, I mean rambling and/or dramatics 🙂
Double Green Smoothie – 1 serving
Based on Whole Foods’ Double Green Smoothie
- 1/2 cup Spinach
- 1/2 cup Kale
- 1/2 Banana
- 1/2 cup Frozen Mixed Berries
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 scoop Whole Foods Vegetarian Soy Protein
Option 1 (Preferred) – 2 tablespoons Flaxseed Meal, 1 cup Barley Tea
Option 2 – 2 cubes Evergreen Wheatgrass Juice, 1/2 cup Green Tea (or orange juice or water)
- (Using Option 1) Add almond milk, 1/4 cup of barley tea, soy protein, and flaxseed meal to blender. Blend well (smoothie button).
- Add kale and spinach to blender. Blend well.
- Add remaining 3/4 cup barley tea, banana, and mixed berries to blender. Blend well.
- Mmmmmmmmmmm! Smoothie!
“Why do you split it up?” I’m impatient. I know you can throw everything in and wait…..and wait for it to blend….eventually. I’ve noticed breaking everything up makes it go faster. Also, putting the powder and meal in first helps it to blend with the liquids. In the beginning I kept ending up with chunks of soy powder. GROSS!
“Why Option 1 over Option 2?”
- Price – About $3 for both a pound of pearl barley and flax seed meal. About $17 for a two week (or 10 smoothie) supply of wheatgrass juice cubes. Option 1 wins this round! Lord knows I’m cheap. $6 for a roughly 2-month supply. *jumps for Jesus*
- Taste – Toasted barley adds a nice nutty flavor to your smoothie. Wheatgrass is (thankfully) undetectable. Option 1 wins again! If you don’t like bananas, it’ll will mask the taste! I took a sip on Day 1 of Option 1 and almost fell out in front of my door! *jumps for Jesus again*
- Benefits – Both help remove toxins from your body. Both regulate blood sugar. Both are high in fiber. Flaxseed meal also has Omega 3. I call it a draw in this category. I have low blood sugar so anything that helps to regulate it is already a winner. Also, I know you need Omega-3s, I just don’t know why. I’ve done research, as I do with everything and maybe what I’m reading is too complex. WHY LAWD!
- Other – We’re all adults here. We all know that fiber aids in digestion. Personally, I’m extremely regular. I know some people would be running full speed to the bathroom IMMEDIATELY after drinking or eating something so high in fiber. I don’t have the problem. What I can tell you is to expect an increase in what your body eliminates through your bowel movements. Also, expect that you might have one more than once some days. Don’t expect to have to set up shop in the bathroom though…..unless you’re one of those people I mentioned above. Neither option affected me more and or less than the other. Thank you Lord because I was so worried. I was praying, “Jesus, don’t let me have an ‘incident’ at work! PLEASE!”
Look at me! Being all informative and experimental! Rather than do two separate posts, I decided to wait so that I’d be able to give an accurate account of both methods. I tried both options for two weeks. I was a guinea pig, for you! All of you! Who knows what could have happened to me! WHO. KNOWS! I could have grown an extra arm!
………….I feel the judgment and I don’t like it………..you don’t know! It could have happened! I’m leaving. I don’t like this judgment. *leaves room*
*peeks head back in* I forgot to ask, what’s your smoothie preference?