Before I begin, let me break down this series down.
Part 1: What motivated me?
Part 2: What am I going to do?
Part 3: What are my goals?
As I said in Part 1, I did a lot to prepare myself. In this post, we’re getting down to business! FOOD AND WORKOUT BUSINESS!
I don’t diet. The closest I’ve ever gotten to dieting was the one week I did the South Beach Diet. I would use the cookbook for ideas but I just don’t believe in dieting. I love food way too much for that life. What I usually do is think about what I want to eat that week and then find recipes to make something using those ingredients.
Also, one of my goals is to transition into clean eating. More on that some other time 🙂
I decided to call my food plan the “ROY G BIV” or “Color Wheel” plan. I’m an art director and I love color theory. Using the color wheel for meals makes me happy! Basically, you try to plan your meals so that you’re “eating the rainbow” or color wheel. Red Orange Yellow Green Blue/Violet. Fitness magazine has articles every so often talking about this. http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/add-more-color-to-your-diet/?sssdmh=dm17.586957&esrc=nwfitdailytip032212&email=3089862336
In addition to using the color wheel, I’m keeping my meals low fat, low sugar, high fiber. I’m not being super strict about it, luckily I love vegetables and I usually don’t go crazy with the sugar. However, I do have low blood sugar so I have to keep SOME sugar in my diet. What happens if I don’t? Well if my sugar levels get too low, I get really sluggish and tired to the point that I can barely stay awake. This can also lead to fainting.
I planned to rotate my cardio workouts so that I don’t get bored. Below I listed my plans but some things have changed since then. More on that later.
- Walking (treadmill) – walking 30 to 45 minutes starting at 3.0mph. Is it mph? I’m unsure but that’s my starting speed.
- Walking (elliptical) – intervals for 30-45 minutes. I enjoy doing a variety of interval workouts that combine walking and running.
- Cycling – using a stationary bike for 30-45 minutes. I’ll be doing the same interval workout as on the elliptical. I’m leaving this here for the sake of planning but I’m not doing it. I tried it this week and I don’t like it. I’ll do a post explaining why.
- Swimming – I usually swim 40 laps. I count 40 as the number of times a tap EITHER end of the pool. I do a combination of breaststroke and freestyle and sometimes backstroke. Breast and back are my “specialties” but I’m improving my freestyle. Also, water gets in my ears worse with backstroke. *shakes fist*
- Nike Training Club – this app as a ton of cardio workouts that tone at the same time. I think these will be great when I don’t feel like using a machine. I like that it times you while doing the move. I get annoyed when I have to try to do a move correctly while watching a clock. I’m also considering doing these at night after work to wind down (and give my body more of a push).
- Walking (outside) – I like my neighborhood. I’d love to explore it more.
- Fitness Magazine – I’ll post workouts from time to time that I like. I’ve tried a variety and some work better than others. Sometimes I combine moves from different workouts because I can’t always do them properly (or at all in some cases).
- Nike Training Club – again, this app has a ton of workouts. There are a lot that are strength focused including targeting specific areas. I honestly will probably do these more.
- Old workouts – my original strength routine from 2006 was pretty easy to remember (which is why I liked it) and effective. I don’t remember the exact numbers but I think it was something like: lunges around a basketball court, 50 squats, 100 bicycles, 100 fire hydrants, ball crunches. It was pretty simple and I could do it in 30 minutes. I’ve had other workouts too but I don’t remember them. I have print outs….somewhere……..
I want to work out 5 days a week. Sounds like a lot? it is. But I also weigh a lot and I know myself. The more I can make it a part of my daily routine, the better chance I have of reaching my goals.
Speaking of goals……………….